Licensed Attorney in Oregon and Washington
J. Terrence Bittner
J. Terrence Bittner has been practicing in Portland since December 1971. Early in his career he gained experience in securities law and insurance defense. His focus turned to construction law when he was given the opportunity to handle several large cases in that area. In 1986 he was elected Chairman of the Oregon State Bar Construction Section.
Since the early 1980’s, while maintaining his interest and expertise in construction law, Terry has focused on business. He has represented both small and large companies, many of which are family owned. Having been exposed to the spectrum of opportunities and challenges that affect such businesses, his experience is far-reaching and covers the wide range of issues that business owners encounter. As many of Terry’s clients have grown, become more successful, and matured, Terry has worked with them to create successful estate plans and succession plans for their businesses. Such plans have been designed to create a smooth transition to children, to key employees, or to third-party purchasers.
Terry enjoys the personal and working relationships that he and his clients have developed and he spends much of his personal time with them, sharing the same interests. A native Oregonian, he has been married to Patty for almost 43 years and together they have raised seven children. He enjoys his family and the outdoors. When he is not working, fishing, or with his family, he is involved in his church and participates in community activities.
- Business Law
- Succession Planning
- Commercial Banking
- Copyright Registration
- Estate Planning
- Wills and Trusts
- Surety Law
- Construction Law
- University of Oregon (B.S., 1968)
- Hastings College of Law, University of California (J.D.,1971)
Order of Coif.
- Member, Thurston Society
Memberships and Activities
- Oregon State Bar since 1971
- Washington State Bar since 2002
- Oregon-Columbia AGC Legal Committee, 1984-1991
- Oregon State Bar Economics of Law Committee, 1983-1986
- Construction Law Section – Secretary, 1984, and Chairman, 1986; Lawyer Alcohol & Drug Dependencies Committee, 1986-1988;
- American Bar Association
- Author: “Bond Claims,” Construction
- Handbook, Oregon State Bar CLE, 1986; “Rights and Liabilities of Sureties,” Ch. 18, Construction Law, Oregon State Bar CLE, 1989.